Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kelley and the Biz

 Biz.

That word really isn't thrown around too often, but little do you know it's has some pretty famous products and people attached to it. Let me elaborate...
  1. Biz - a stain fighter you can throw in to your regular wash! Biz gives your laundry that extra boost to treat those nasty, stuck on foods such as...Yikes! spaghetti sauce,.. Good Grief! chocolate ice cream, and...Oh No! even that day old mustard stain. 
  2. Biz Markie - probably one of THE coolest one-hit wonder rap singers of our time. Baby...you got what I neeeeeeeeeed. His voice probably isn't American Idol worthy, but it's a catchy tune and it's one of my favorite 'going to work in the morning' songs. 
Last but not least, Biz is the nickname many North Dakotans use to describe the breakfast pastry capital of their state...Bismarck. HAH! Get it :) Why am I talking about Bismarck, ND of all places? This is the story I wanted to blog about on my very first post, but it was quite a doosie to explain. I wanted to dedicate an entire post to it because I think it's a fun story to tell people, and it explains what I've been up to the last few months and how I became involved with a city named after my favorite doughnut. So this is going to be a two parter....Oh the suspense!

Ladies and gents...I like to introduce Keith now. Trust me...he's part of the story and  kinda a big deal in general, so I will be talking about him from time to time. I'm sure most of you reading this blog already know who he is and how incredibly radical he is. But for relatives and old friends who never had a chance to meet or hear about him, he is the boyfriend :) Enough of the intros. Let's flash back to August 1, 2010.

I was interning at Bobcat Company in West Fargo for about 8 months learning the marketing trade, and Keith was working with NDSU's athletic department coaching basketball to squealing and hyper 7th grade girls and to hungry and smelly high school boys. Both of us (and when I mean both, I mean mostly Keith) were hunting in the awful Job Jungle for about as long as Robin Williams was stuck in that awful Jumanji game. Which by the way, I do not like that movie. The monkeys were kinda creepy and the stampede of jungle animals scared me a little. Sorry...I got sidetracked. Anywho. Keith was sending his resumes hot off the press, but I was a bit more passive aggressive about sending out resumes and overly picky about what jobs I applied for during this time (forgive me for not applying to be a customer service rep at the Forum Newspaper...oh wait...), which turned me into a stress ball for 3 months. Ugly sight and I highly recommend not taking my approach.

With perfect timing on our sides (sarrrrrcasm), both of our leases were up at our apartments on July 31, 2010, and we didn't want to sign a lease to a new apartment until we knew we had a Golden Ticket to job security. Keith and I became known as the traveling gypsies of Fargo. We were nomads. Living off the land....and in the living room of our bodacious and good friend Burns' one bedroom apartment and the guest bedroom of my equally awesome and equally amazing brother Tony and sister-in-law Heidi. For the first 2 weeks in August, Keith and I crashed in Burns' downtown Fargo pad living out of a suitcase and some old Bacardi boxes. Keith and I dubbed these first 2 weeks as the "Let's Find a BLEEPING Job" time. Burns' floor and incredibly itchy rug became my little office to apply for jobs, while Keith's office was the luxurious green couch. By the way, really awesome napping couch!

How Keith lived with me in close proximity and put up with my snarky remarks about how "I am going to live in a van down by the river for the rest of my life because no one will hire me" for 2 weeks straight is beyond me. He deserves a world holiday for that, and not just a US holiday. After 2 weeks passed by, Burns came back from his long vacation to his home state of Ohio (I heard he went to same High School as those Glee kids!) and  although I'm 110% sure Burns' wanted us to live with him forever, it got a bit cramped in a one bedroom apartment with 3 people. Plus, Burns' queen size bed became my make shift closet, and my clothes swallowed it whole. Burns kinda had a thing about sleeping in a bed at night, so I was so gracious enough to let him have it back. It was time for Keith and I to take our gypsy wagon to a new and majestic part of town. South Fargo.

TO BE CONTINUED...<dramatic music>

Where will Keith and Kelley go?! Will they ever get out of the Job Jungle alive?! And did the Bacardi box go with them on their journey?! Stayed tuned...

2 comments: